You are going to find a lot of information on wheatgrass benefits in this article but before going to the benefits it is important to understand what wheatgrass is.
It is from the cotyledons of the wheat plant that wheatgrass is prepared. Those that are health conscious regard wheat grass as a valuable single source of many nutrients. Wheatgrass is available in the market in different forms – tablet, juice and powder concentrate. Wheatgrass is also available in juice bars or sold as mixed fruit drinks. It is easily available from health food stores.
Wheatgrass can be grown inside as well and it can be ready between 8 – 14 days to harvest. There are many people who grow wheatgrass in their homes and then juice it after harvesting for personal use as well as for commercial use.
Wheatgrass which is grown outdoors requires 200 days of steady growth and then it can be harvested at the time when it is ready for jointing. At this time the wheatgrass is filled with nutrients, chlorophyll, vitamins and proteins.
However if one chooses to grow it inside in shallow trays with about an inch of organic soil added to it, then it will have the same nutritional value but it will be ready within 10 days. To gain the most amount of wheatgrass benefits, it is important that it should be grown at least up to 7 inches tall.
When it is grown outdoors, it is dehydrated and then made it into tablets to be sold commercially. Its juice powder is also available in the market. Juice powder is made after the water is eliminated from the freshly squeezed juice. Wheatgrass is usually consumed in the form of juice or juice tablets because it is highly fibrous and therefore cannot be digested by the humans easily and hence has to be liquefied.
Around a handful of grass can produce an ounce of liquefied wheatgrass juice. If you wish you can take it as it is or mix it in other fresh fruit juices if you are unable to develop the taste instantly. Whichever way you take it, it is imperative to consume it soon after juicing because it will can spoil easily and then will lose all the wheatgrass benefits it has. If the wheatgrass is ready to be cut and it is in big quantity then you can store the extra in the fridge without the risk of spoiling it. You should keep in mind that the grass will stay good in fridge for a few days.
For instant access to wheatgrass benefits, try taking one ounce per day at the start slowly increasing to two, three and then four ounces. Try to take in each sip slowly on empty stomach and avoid gulping it down the throat. Don’t take it in the night or late evening. A great thing about wheatgrass juice is that it suits even those who are allergic to wheat and its various products.
What Are The Benefits of Wheatgrass?
There are plenty of wheatgrass benefits which makes it a food often referred to as fountain of youth. Let’s have a look at those benefits one by one.
1. One of the most important wheatgrass benefits is that it is a complete food in itself. Consuming only a single pound of this miraculous grass will provide you with so much nutrition that could otherwise be obtained from 23 pounds of other mixed fresh vegetables.
2. Wheatgrass benefits also include improving the cardiovascular health by dissolving scars from the lungs. It purifies the blood and helps in the transport of oxygen to all parts of the body through blood. This oxygenation helps get rid of harmful chemicals and gases that might have entered the body like carbon monoxide or smog.
Transporting the oxygen to blood cells of entire body also promotes cell regeneration and hence provides a refreshed energy source. It purifies the blood and helps in removing the toxins and free radicals from the body thereby killing the chances of growth of cancer cells.
3. The composition of wheatgrass is another one of the wheatgrass benefits. For every teaspoon of wheatgrass, you will get a whole gram of protein minus the cholesterol and fat. It also contains 17 amino acids, out of which there are eight essential amino acids which are the building blocks of protein – again promoting cell growth as protein is a very basic constituent of every cell in the body. The presence of amino acids also guarantees growth of muscles tissue, cell repair and blood clotting.
Other than the high protein level, wheatgrass has loads of vitamin value stuffed in it. To name a few, it contains Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B8, B12, C, E and K. It has more amount of vitamin C and A than is found in oranges and carrots respectively. Amazingly wheatgrass can retain up to 92 minerals out of the 102 different ones found naturally in the soil. Some of these are calcium, iodine, Selenium, Zinc, Iron and some other minerals. All of these vitamins and minerals provide vital energy source to the body and strengthen the immune system.
4. Some other remarkable wheatgrass benefits include profiting different organs of the body like, liver, kidneys, spleen, muscles, glands, teeth, bones. Wheatgrass can also be used to cleanse the intestine, gums, teeth, eyes and even the sinuses.
5. People who are weight conscious and are looking for healthy ways to reduce stubborn pounds can develop their new love for wheatgrass because it is known to assist in weight loss by suppressing the appetite and boosting the metabolism.
6. Wheatgrass is a good source of chlorophyll as well as are all the plant life. Chlorophyll alone has numerous advantages as it is the most initial product of light and thus has a lot of light energy. It is because of chlorophyll that wheatgrass is high in oxygen content which is then transferred to the body cells and muscle tissues.
Chlorophyll is a good anti-bacterium and can be used in the colon for cleansing or as a healer from inside and outside. Chlorophyll cleanses the blood and removes the toxins from the bloodstream therefore also helps in detoxifying the body. It also arrests the growth of unwanted bacteria and helps in purifying the liver.
Most of the wheatgrass benefits are due to the presence of chlorophyll in big amounts. Many doctors recommend its use because of its antiseptic properties. It can therefore be used to reduce bad body odor, cure infections and wounds, assist in skin grafting, be helpful in sinusitis and treatment of inflammation.
It has been known to be helpful in leg ulcers, varicose veins, vaginal infections, typhoid, rectal sores and other conditions like :
[checklist]Acne and its scars,
And eye disorders.[/checklist]
7. Other miscellaneous wheatgrass benefits include improvement in digestion, increased strength and endurance. Wheatgrass juice can be used externally to cleanse the pores of the skin and the skin can also directly benefit from the many nutrients present in the wheatgrass juice.
These were some of the abundant wheatgrass benefits which make it one of the best superfoods that are naturally present.