When it comes to getting older, dealing with wrinkles is par for the course. Caused by factors like genetics, sun exposure, lifestyle choices and stress, wrinkles and other signs of aging are never easy to deal with, and can cause a real blow to self-esteem. Thankfully, though, there are secrets to restoring your skin’s youthful appearance. Keep reading for tips on reducing fine lines, preventing wrinkles and boosting the overall appearance of your skin.
What Causes Wrinkles?
In addition to genetics, certain lifestyle choices create the perfect storm for the development of lines and wrinkles. For example, the following factors are known to contribute to the signs of premature aging:
- Drinking in excess.
- Poor nutrition.
- Prolonged exposure to UV rays.
- Poor skincare habits.
How to Get Rid of Wrinkles
Thankfully, there are various ways you can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The following solutions may be just the thing to restore your skin’s luster, and take years off your appearance.
- Facial exercises. By exercising the muscles in the face, you can tighten the skin around the jaws, neck and eyes, and maybe even boost your body’s production of collagen, thus lending to smoother, firmer skin and a more youthful appearance.
- Over-the-counter creams. OTC moisturizers can be effective at addressing shallow lines and wrinkles. Brands that contain retinoids usually work best, as these formulas can increase blood flow and promote collagen production.
- Dermastrips. Dermastrips are natural lip enhancers, designed to remove wrinkles without the use of invasive techniques like surgery or injections. Dermastrips can eliminate wrinkles around the mouth, as well as promote firmer skin and enhanced volume in the lips.
- Fillers and injections. Procedures like Botox or Restylane injections can be effective in reducing wrinkles and enhancing your skin’s appearance. However, since allergies and other complications can occur, thorough research is recommended before undergoing these procedures.
- Surgery. Surgical procedures like facelifts can tighten the skin, reduce lines and wrinkles, and promote younger looking skin. It should be noted that cosmetic surgeries are invasive procedures, and are also associated with a number of complications, and therefore require a lot of thought and research.
Preventing the Signs of Aging
Preventing wrinkles and other signs of aging is actually pretty simple. For example, tips like the following can help keep your skin looking smooth, fresh and radiant, while preventing a deepening of lines and wrinkles.
- Exercise. Regular physical activity enhances blood flow, which ensures the delivery of nutrients and hydration to the skin. If you prefer outdoor workouts, be sure to slather on the sunblock (SPF 30 or higher).
- Stay hydrated. Even mild dehydration can lead to sagging, older looking skin. Plump up the skin by drinking at least eight glasses of water every single day.
- Take care of your skin. Avoid harsh soaps, and be sure to tone and moisturize daily. Exfoliating is a great treatment for removing dead skin and other buildup, but don’t overdo it: weekly exfoliation techniques should suffice. Use sunscreen anytime you’ll be out in the sun, including during the winter months.
- Relax. Since stress can accelerate the aging process, take some time to relax and unwind. Massage and meditation are great, as is simply taking short breaks during the day to refresh and regroup.
- Eat a nutrient-rich diet. Too many starches, sugars and chemicals can wreak havoc on the skin. Remedy this by enjoying fresh foods and meals with whole ingredients. The vitamins and antioxidants in fruits and vegetables will give your skin that healthy glow you’re looking for.
Although there’s a lot to be said for aging gracefully, there’s no need to speed up the process. With the tips provided here, you can address the signs of aging and promote healthier, more youthful looking skin.