Finding the right cocktail dress that will fit the occasion is a dilemma that every woman goes through. It does not matter whether you are going to an office party or attending a formal function or simply going to a dream date with the love of your life, as long as you have the right cocktail dress, you feel good. Having the right cocktail dress can make you feel confident and beautiful. Here are some tips that will help you nail down the right cocktail dress for your body and also suited to the occasion.
- First step is by finding out what the event you are going to will entail. Different types of occasions warrant different types of dressing. Speaking in general terms, a cocktail dress can be defined as a formal or semi formal attire that one can don to go to an event that takes place in the evenings/night. It should look good on the person wearing it in lights outside as well as indoor lighting that is normally used on such social occasions.
- Since you know that the cocktail dress is supposed to be dressier than day time attire, you should go for materials that reflect this, Go with materials like chiffon, silk or satin. Most dresses worn for such occasions are made using these materials. Normally speaking cocktail dresses made of younger women as well as older women use the same materials, only the designs and styles may vary.
- The length of the cocktail dress should be the correct one. The most accepted length for a cocktail dress is starting from just above the knee area to covering the full length. You can wear and try a few dresses of differing lengths to see what works best, looks good and feels comfortable. Try standing, sitting and walking about to put the comfort level to test.
- Once you have the hemline of the cocktail dress defined, you need to concentrate on the equally important neckline. The styles vary from modest full sleeves to strapless styles. Choose one that you can feel confident in and also one that works on a figure. A fuller chest means a closed neck will make it look fuller but a plunging neckline may make you feel exposed. So go for a rounded neck that makes you look just right.
- The style and the way the dress fits is vital in picking out the right dress. Please be sure of your size and gain an understanding of what works on your body type. Ideally the dress should highlight you good points and play down your flaws. You could talk to an expert or an honest friend for some guidance in this regard.
- The next aspect is the color of the cocktail dress. If you going for a solid color it can help frame the jewelry and other accessories that you will be wearing. It can also be slimming and look more formal. Go with the family of colors that work with your coloring in terms of hair, skin and eyes.
- Now think about the accessories that you will wear to pull the look together. You need to consider the earrings, neck jewelry, bracelets and shoes to make the look work.
- While picking out the cocktail dress do visualize the event and it will give you a better picture of what you should be looking for. Seek the help of a good shop assistant to arrive at the right choice. Trust what your eyes and gut tell you and do not be swayed by the blandishments of the sales staff if you feel uncomfortable.
Here are other ideas for Cocktail Dresses: